chic’ feel to the place. I interpreted that as ‘make it look like it should be in Melbourne. The clients often
changed things ‘on the fly: the bathroom layouts, tiles, fixtures and fitting, the lighting specifications and fixtures, the couches. All very frustrating for a designer, as you can imagine.
“Having said all that, strong design elements such as the colour and textural palettes did help achieve my original design intent. I wanted it to look ‘rich’ in texture and ‘deep’ in colour whilst complimenting the existing heritage of the building, I wanted to incorporate contemporary elements. Also, the design of the couches and mobile bar/planters allows adaptability of the space as proposed – although I noticed the current operator has covered the planters. I also had a win when I put in a ‘last ditch effort’ to convince the client to replace a large feature pendant (read big ugly white box light that virtually covered up the vaulted ceiling) with a large chandelier from Tilly’s in Osborne Park. In short, the feel of the main room is reasonably close to what was intended.”
Apart from the chandelier mentioned above, most of the fixtures such as tiles, plumbing and lighting were selected by the client to suit their budget. Other finishes such as the paint colours, wallpaper and mirrors were mostly completed as specified, however one of the wallpapers selected was substituted with stunning wallpaper found on site that coincidentally suited the scheme. The wallpaper was found by the original developer on site. I had picked similar wallpaper that was black and gold, but when I saw the red and gold I was more than happy to substitute it. The flocked nature of the wallpaper had exactly the richness of texture I was looking for.”